Liquor Licences

If your business includes the sale or consumption of alcohol, you will require a liquor licence which is issued by the Department of Local Government Sport and Cultural Industries under the Liquor Control Act 1988.

How do I obtain a Liquor Licence?

Business owners should first contact the Department of Local Government Sport and Cultural Industries directly to determine what approvals are required.

(08) 6551 4888

You may then need to contact the Shire to obtain a section 39 and/or section 40 certificate to support your application.

What is a Section 39 or Section 40 certificate?

To support your Liquor Licence application, you may be asked to provide a Section 39 and/or Section 40 certificate which is issued by the Shire.

A Section 39 Certificate is issued by our Environmental Health Officer and states the premise or the proposed premise complies with the Health Act 1911 and the Food Act 1995.

A Section 40 Certificate is issued by our Development Services team and states that the proposed use of the premises is consistent with the current planning approval affecting the property.

How do I apply for a Section 39 certificate?

For a Section 39 certificate, you will need to complete a Liquor Licence Application (Section 39) which will be assessed by our Environmental Health Officer.

For your application to be processed you will need to provide the following:

  • completed application form
  • payment of relevant application fees.

Application for a Section 39 Certificate