Small Business Portal

There's no better place than Nannup to give your small business a go

The Shire of Nannup is committed to being Small Business Friendly and is participating in the Small Business Friendly Approvals Program. The program, delivered by the Small Business Development Corporation, aims to streamline approval processes, to make it easier for small businesses to apply for business licences and trading permits.

For more information about the Small Business Development Corporation, please visit the SBDC website.

See below to view a copy of the Small Business Friendly Approvals Program Final Report for the Shire of Nannup.

Shire of Nannup Small Business Friendly Approvals Program - Final Report

We suggest using the following resources to help guide you through the early stages of starting your new business:

  • Small Business Development Corporation - The Small Business Development Corporation’s primary role is to encourage, promote, facilitate and assist the establishment, growth and development of small business in Western Australia. Their wide range of services include free business advice, online information and business skills workshops.
  • ‚ÄčStarting a Business in Western Australia - A guide with all the tools need to start your business with confidence.
  • Business Licence Finder - Lists all the licences and permits required for your business.
  • Starting a Business - A step-by-step guide to getting prepared.
  • Business Registration and Licences - Applying for an ABN and registering your business name.
  • Access to advice – We’ve created a Business Support Team who are available during business opening hours to advise on the approvals required from the Shire to start your business. A great way to contact the team is by completing the following business self-assessment and providing your contact details so one of the team can get in touch.

Business Self-Assessment Tool

Photograph by Frances Andrijich

    Before you purchase or sign a lease

    Before you purchase a property or sign a lease, it is important to understand where you can operate your business. All properties have a ‘zone’. Examples of zones include Residential, Commercial and Industrial. To check a property's zoning, you can use the Shire of Nannup Scheme Maps which are published here. These zones indicate the type of ‘land uses’ that may be possible in an area. Examples of land uses include shop, garden centre and restaurant/café.

    The zoning table in Part 3 of the Shire of Nannup Local Planning Scheme No. 4 can help you to understand whether the Shire can lawfully approve a particular land use in a certain zone.

    Within the table, a range of land uses is detailed in the first left hand column. By cross-referencing this column with the zones, you can identify the permissibility level of each use class in each zone of the Scheme. Although a land use may be possible in a certain zone, you may still need to seek approval from the Shire of Nannup. Information sheets containing some general guidance are provided for the Commercial, Residential & Rural Residential Zones below however to determine where you can potentially operate your business, it is recommended that you speak to the Shire’s Business Support Team.

    What can I do in my Zone?  Commercial
    What can I do in my Zone?  Residential
    What can I do in my Zone?  Rural Residential

    The Shire of Nannup has also created an interactive property map which can be used to determine the zoning and land uses that can be considered by Council for properties throughout the Shire. To access the map, please click the button below.

    Interactive Property Map

    Please note that only freehold land, local reserves and public open space are included on this map. Areas of State Forest and National Parks are currently left grey but may be included in future.

    Business approval requirements

    Starting a business will require some type of approval from the Shire, even for a home-based business. Before you start or change your business, you will need to check whether you will need approval from the Shire.

    Below is a step-by-step guide to the approval process in the Shire of Nannup.


    Planning approval is required for most developments within the Shire of Nannup and may be required for the type of business you wish to operate.

    Additionally, you may require planning approval if you are changing the type of business that is currently on the property (for example if you are wishing to change from a hair salon to a restaurant).

    Planning approval may also be required for any external works proposed to a property, including advertising signage. The information sheet below contains more information about when planning approval is required:

    To determine whether you require a planning approval to operate your business it is recommended you discuss with our Development Services team on (08) 9756 1018 or by email to

    Once planning approval is obtained, this may be subject to conditions which need to be fulfilled prior to opening your new business.

    How to Satisfy your Development Approval

    As conditions can be applied depending on the specific nature and operation of the business, it is recommended you contact the Shire to discuss what is required to satisfy these.

    It is important to note that even if you do not require planning approval, you may still require building and/or health approval from the Shire.


    Building approval is separate from planning approval.

    Generally, a building permit is required before any building work can be carried out. In most cases, a building permit application will be required if your business idea/ proposal includes the construction, renovation, alteration, or improvement of a building.

    Additionally, all works that require a building permit are required to submit a notice of completion. The notice of completion must be given to the relevant permit authority within seven days of completion of the work, or the stage of work, for which the permit was granted.

    An occupancy permit must also be obtained before a building can be occupied. The occupancy permit is an important document because it sets out the approved use of the building and its classification under the National Construction Code.

    To determine whether you require building approval to operate your business it is recommended that you contact the Shire's Development Services team.

    For more information on the building permit process, please visit the following web pages:

    If you have any questions, please contact the Development Services team on (08) 9756 1018 or by email to


    Depending on the type of business you wish to operate, you may require certain types of health approval.

    This applies to you if you are considering opening a café or restaurant, home-based food businesses, street trading, accommodating people, hairdressing services and personal beauty service businesses such as offering waxing and skin penetration.

    Additionally, all food businesses within the Shire of Nannup must register their food business with the Shire.

    If you are proposing to change or install a grease trap or septic tank as part of your business and are not connected to sewer you will be required to apply for health approval.

    Follow the links below for more information relevant to your business.

    A health application can be made at the same time as a building permit application, or separately if no building permit is required.

    For more information on health approvals, please visit the following web pages:

    If you have any questions, please speak to the Shire's Environmental Health Officer on (08) 9756 1018 or by email to


    Occupancy Permit

    An Occupancy Permit must be obtained from the Shire before a commercial tenancy or building can be occupied or used. This permit relates to the building, and not to the owner or occupier. A subsequent tenant may not need to obtain a new Occupancy Permit if there is no change of use or building classification.

    Note: A change of use for the purpose of an Occupancy Permit is vastly different to a planning scheme change of use and is subject to different criteria.

    Examples of when an Occupancy Permit is required:

    Current Use Proposed Use Occupancy Permit Required?
    Warehouse Art gallery Yes. This is a change of building classification and a change of use.
    Tattoo parlour Hairdresser Could apply for an Occupancy Permit. This is a change of use only.
    Office Restaurant Yes. This is a change of building classification and a change of use.

    If you are unsure, please contact the Development Services team on (08) 9756 1018 or by email to

    In some instances, the building owner may obtain an Occupancy Permit for the public or common use parts of the building and leave it to each tenant to obtain an Occupancy Permit for each tenancy. 

    A copy of the Occupancy Permit must be displayed at or near the principal (main) entrance to the premises so that it is clearly visible to occupants and other people using the building. A fine of $10,000 may be imposed for a failure to do so.

    For more information on Occupancy Permits, please visit the following web pages:

    If you have questions, please contact the Development Services team on (08) 9756 1018 or by email to

    Building Inspection

    When an Occupancy Permit application is received, the Shire's Building Surveyor will organise a time to come out to the property to conduct a final inspection as part of the approval process. 

    Health Inspection

    Any premises which requires health assessment or health approval will require the Shire's Environmental Health Officer to come out to the property and complete a final inspection. This will ensure the premises comply with the relevant health laws, before you can open. If all requirements are met, then a certificate or letter will be issued.


    Approvals may also be required from external state government agencies for things such as the provision or selling of liquor and gambling or disposal of trade waste.

    The Business Licence Finder can be used to help determine what other permits and licences you may need to obtain from external agencies.

    How to find out what approvals you will need

    If you are wondering what approvals you need to operate your business in the Shire of Nannup, give the Shire's Business Support Team a call on (08) 9756 1018 or email us at We would love to arrange a meeting to discuss your business idea further.

    The Shire has also created a Business Self-Assessment Tool that can help to determine what approvals you are likely to require. The self-assessment can be accessed by clicking on the button below and if you would like someone from the Business Support Team to contact you regarding your business proposal, please ensure that you complete the contact details at the end of the assessment.

    Business Self-Assessment Tool