Welcome to the Shire of Nannup


The Building Act 2011 came in to effect on 2 April 2012. This Act brings major changes to the building approval process in Western Australia. It repealed the Builders Registration Act and parts of the Local Government Act. The Act enables both Local Authorities and private registered building surveyors to certify building applications, with Local Authorities still issuing permits.

The Shire of Nannup continues to provide a service for people requiring a building surveyor to assess, approve and certify plans for Class 1 and Class 10 buildings. In addition we provide a range of other building related information and services. Customers may also choose to use the services of a private building surveyor and submit a certified application to the Shire as the Permit Authority. Applications will need to have all relevant approvals in place prior to lodgement for a permit to build.

Visit the ABCB website for further details and to register for free access to the National Construction Code

Building Permits

Application Forms & Checklists

Building permit application forms and information checklists detailing the requirements for lodging a building permit application are available from the front counter at the Shire of Nannup administration office or can be downloaded by clicking on the following links.

Building Commission Forms

Checklist for Building Permit Class 1 (Dwellings)

Checklist for Building Permit Class 10 (Outbuildings)

Alternatively, call into the Shire office and ask for an Information & Application Pack for Building Permits. This pack contains everything you need to get you started with your building permit application and provides a handy way to organise all your supporting documents. When you're ready to submit, just return all your documents in the provided folder or USB to the Shire office.

Certified Building Permit Application - BA1

A Certified Building Permit application must be submitted for building Classes 2 - 9 (commercial), whereas Classes 1 and 10 are optional.  The permit application must be accompanied by a Certificate of Design Compliance.

Uncertified Building Permit Application - BA2

An Uncertified Building Permit application is for Class 1 and 10 buildings and is to be submitted to the Shire without a Certificate of Design Compliance.  The Shire's Building Surveyor will assess the proposed development and issue both the Certificate of Design Compliance and the Building Permit.

Demolition Permits - BA5

A permit is required for any demolition work, either full or part of a building. The presence of asbestos must be declared on the application form.

Building Approval Certificates - BA13

This can be used in circumstances where an Occupancy Permit is not applicable such as for Class 1 and 10 buildings or incidental structures. It provides certainty that a building or incidental structure meets the relevant requirements and can be used to retrospectively approve previously unauthorised work. 

Notice of Completion - BA7

A requirement under the Building Act 2011 for Class 1 and 10 buildings is that the builder must submit a Notice of Completion within 7 days of finishing the work undertaken with a Building Permit.

The purpose of this Notice of Completion is to establish an end date of the Building Permit, for compliance and record keeping purposes. It also defines the date that the builder has fulfilled their compliance obligations under the Building Act 2011.

Occupancy Permit - BA9

Before a Class 2 - 9 building can be occupied, an Occupancy Permit must be obtained from the Shire of Nannup. It is evidence that a building has been lawfully constructed and is safe to occupy for the use stated on the permit.

An application for an Occupancy Permit must be accompanied by a Certificate of Construction Compliance (for new buildings) or a Certificate of Building Compliance (for existing buildings).

When applying for the above permits, it is necessary to submit two copies of detailed plans and specifications together with the Application form.

Please note: Development Approval may be required prior to a building permit application being accepted and issued by the Shire.

Building Application Fee Calculator

To determine the fees payable for your application for a Certified or Uncertified Building Permit, Demolition Permit, Occupancy Permit, Building Approval Certificate (non-strata) or for an Extension to an Existing Building or Demolition Permit, please use the calculator below.

For all other applications, please contact the Shire for assistance in calculating the fees.


Owner Builders

Owner Builder applications are regulated and administered by the Building Commission. If you intend to owner-build, information and the owner-builder licence application can be found at the Building Commission Website.

Application To Construct Or Install An Apparatus For The Treatment Of Sewage

To download the latest application form from the Department of Health WA for installation of a Sewage Treatment Apparatus (i.e. Septic and Leach drains or Aerobic Treatment Unit) please click on the following link: https://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Articles/A_E/Apply-to-install-a-wastewater-system

Water Corporation Notifications of Proposed Development

Approval must be sought from the Water Corporation if you are proposing to construct or alter any building that is in an area that is serviced by the Water Corporation.

The Water Corporation provides information on when notification and/or approval is required. For more information visit the Water Corporation's website.

Swimming Pools

In Western Australia, private swimming pools and spas with water that is more than 300mm deep must have a compliant barrier installed. This is intended to help prevent the drowning deaths and injury of young children under the age of five years. This requirement applies to:

  • in-ground pools and spas;
  • above-ground pools and spas (including inflatable and portable pools and spas);
  • indoor pools and spas (but not spa baths that are normally emptied after each use); and
  • wading pools (containing water that is more than 300mm deep).

Do I need a building permit?

Yes, generally a building permit is required under the Building Act 2011 to construct or install a swimming or spa pool and its associated safety barrier. If you are thinking about installing any of the pools or spas noted above, please click the button below for more information.

Thinking about installing a pool or spa?

Rules for Portable Pools Brochure

As a result of the recent Ombudsman WA report "Investigation into ways to prevent or reduce deaths of children by drowning" (the Report), one of the Report's findings was that portable pools contribute to the drowning deaths of children under the age of five.  It is important to note that the safety barrier requirements for private swimming pools in the Building Regulations 2012 also apply to portable pools.  Building and Energy recognise that members of the public may be unaware of these requirements.  As such, a "Rules for Portable Pools", which provides guidance about the applicable requirements, has been developed.

Further information on pool safely and safety barrier requirements, can be found at  Rules for Pools & Spas  and  Rules for Portable Pools 

Building Disputes/Complaints

Part of Building and Energy's function is to provide an avenue to resolve building disputes for both consumers and builders. The Building Commission provides this service to parties as an alternative to the commencement of court proceedings.

For information and assistance click on the links below to the Building Commission



To submit an online Building Services enquiry, click here.

'image description'